Deadline: 28 February 2014
Open to: students with a Master’s degree and strong academic records from all over the world
Scholarship: 12,600 EUR to cover living costs, tuition fee, and other costs.
The United Nations University – Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (UNU-MERIT) is a research and training institute of United Nations University and Maastricht University, based in the south of the Netherlands. The PhD Programme in Economics and Governance is a multidisciplinary course offered by UNU-MERIT and its School of Governance.
The programme focuses on research skills and methods, training students to become both scholars and practitioners in the fields of governance and the economics of technology. It has two specializations accredited and awarded by Maastricht University:
- PhD with specialization in the Economics and Policy Studies of Technical Change (UNU-MERIT);
- PhD with specialization in Public Policy and Policy Analysis (School of Governance).
During their first year, students complete a basic, compulsory training programme conducted by leading scholars of the host and partner universities. These courses are taught in Maastricht and spread across two semesters.
Taught entirely in English, this is an annual Maastricht-based programme which starts on 1 September. At the end of the programme, the doctoral degree is awarded by Maastricht University upon successful defence of the thesis.
- a Master’s degree from a relevant academic field, including: economics, international relations, political science, law, social sciences, business administration, health sciences or public health;
- basic knowledge of mathematics and statistics, which is measured by reviewing the content and level of previous studies and/or working experience;
- basic knowledge of economics, social sciences, political science and/or law, which is measured by reviewing the content and level of previous studies and/or working experience;
- proficiency in English, with a minimum level of 600 PBT / 240 CBT / 100 IBT for the TOEFL or 7.0 for the IELTS (native speakers of English and students who received their Bachelor’s or Master’s education in English are exempt). Maastricht University’s TOEFL code is 7102.
Each year they will distribute a limited number of scholarships among the accepted fellows.Scholarship of 12,600 euros to cover living costs, etc will be awarded. Scholarship also covers tuition fee. However, due to limited funds, they encourage students to apply for a variety of other scholarships. For more information you can visit the scholarships pages of the university website. You can also check for grants and scholarships HERE.
In addition to filling in the online application form, applicants must submit the following:
- certified copies of your certificates and grades and an explanation of the grading system
- proof of English proficiency
- motivation letter of 400 – 500 words
- three letters of recommendation (in English only) by current or former professors or employers
- one-page essay indicating the topic of research interest
- curriculum vitae
- copy of your passport
- passport size photo
- full information about your present study and/or job
Deadline for application is 28 February 2014.
For more information visit the official website HERE.