The Reach Cambridge scholarship essay competition is designed for academically excellent high school students who would otherwise not be able to attend our summer programs.
What are the prizes?
3 week scholarship prize (awarded to a maximum of 2 students): 100% of the program fee for either our 3 week July or our 3 week August course in 2015.
1 week scholarship prize (awarded to a maximum of 3 students): 100% of the program fee for our 1 week Global Leaders course in 2015.
Please note that both prizes include all those items ordinarily covered by the program fee. They do not include the cost of flights, or other items which are not ordinarily covered by the program fee. See terms & conditions for further details.
What is the essay question and what else will be taken into consideration?
The essay question for this year’s scholarship competition is:
“In an age of quick & easy global communication, what is the value of face-to-face interaction and learning with other school students from all over the world?”
To craft a good essay requires careful argumentation, clear structure and personality. It is these characteristics that we will look for in judging applicants’ essays. We will also take into account the letter of recommendation supplied by your school.
How do I enter?
In order to enter the competition, follow these simple steps to complete a full application by the1st of December 2014:
- Follow the link below to set up a Reach Cambridge account
- From your main account page, select the “Scholarship” tab on the left
- Copy your essay into the box provided (it should be no longer than 1000 words). Answer all other questions on the page.
- A letter of recommendation from a member of staff at your school must be sent to email@example.com directly, using an official school email address. This should be written on headed paper, and should outline why you are a good candidate for the scholarship: it should tell us what makes you academically excellent, and it should give us some indication of your financial circumstances. It must include contact details for the member of staff so that we can contact them for further information if necessary.
- You must also complete the School Transcript, Signature, Parent Info, and School Info sections of your account.
Please ensure you read the scholarship essay competition terms and conditions before applying. By submitting an application you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
Scholarship Essay Competition Terms & Conditions:
- The closing date for scholarship applications is 1st of December 2014 at 23:00 GMT. We will only consider full applications submitted by this date. A full application is one that includes an answer to the essay question and all other questions on the “Scholarship” tab, the letter of recommendation from your school, and also has the following sections completed on the account page: School Transcript, Signature, Parent Info, School Info.
- The prizes available through the scholarship competition are: 100% of the program fee for one of our three week courses in 2015 (candidates can choose July or August) – awarded to a maximum of 2 students, and 100% of the program fee for our 1 week Global Leaders course in 2015 – awarded to a maximum of 3 students.
- It is not guaranteed that Reach Cambridge will offer scholarship prizes to any of the candidates. Reach Cambridge reserves the right to not award scholarship prizes.
- The winners of scholarship prizes – if there are any – will be notified by 31st December 2014
- These prizes provide without charge all those items ordinarily covered by the program fee, including accommodation, all excursions, lectures, theatre trips, workshops and tuition, and half board meals.
- These prizes do not include those items which are not ordinarily covered by the program fee: flights; transportation to/from Cambridge at the start and end of the program if travel is undertaken independently; third meal of the day (half board is provided); optional enhancements shown to have an extra fee; snacks, drinks and meals purchased away from the program; pocket money and souvenirs; books for credit courses and classes; laundry (aside from bed linen); travel insurance, medical insurance and any medical or dental fees.
- The final decision on prize winners rests with Reach Cambridge Ltd. By submitting an application for the scholarship the student agrees to respect and honour the decision made by Reach Cambridge.
- By submitting an application to the scholarship competition, the student agrees to assist with promoting the scholarship scheme if awarded a prize.
- The successful applicant also agrees to their name being published on the Reach Cambridge website, as well as on its social media pages.
- The student must have permission from a parent or guardian to accept the scholarship. Scholarship prizes are conditional on parental approval – a parent/guardian will be required to sign a declaration that they accept the Reach Cambridge terms and conditions and rules and regulations.
- By applying for this scholarship, the student agrees to abide by the Reach Cambridge terms and conditions and rules and regulatsions, available on our website, as well as these scholarship terms and conditions
- If shortlisted, students may be required to have an interview over the phone or via internet video conferencing/Skype. The author of the students’ recommendation letter may be contacted for further information.
- Students do not have to pay a deposit before applying for the scholarship.
- Please note that all terms and conditions for Reach Cambridge courses, including the cancellation policy, also applies for scholarship applicants.